Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Aqui Uzumaki

** watch this video from the show **
http://www.friendswithyou.com/gallery2/aquiuzumaki.html



This is an art show that was done by a collaboration of artists from Friendswithyou, Mumbleboy, and Gaga Inc. "Aqui" is a Spanish word that translates as "here" and "Uzumaki" is a japanese word that translates as "the Vortex." This show creates an imaginary world, its like walking into a two-year-old's imagination, that is filled with bright colors, crayon drawings, playful music, and unusual creatures all swarming around together.

The process of creating this show is what really interested me. They sat on the ground and used crayons, pens, color pencils to draw on pieces of paper to be pasted on the walls, or they just drew directly onto the walls. The plush animals are hand sewn so there are no two alike. Some of the plush animals were directly drawn on with pens. The whole process is very hands on.

I would have loved to walk into this room. You can really sense the energy and passion that went into the creation. It is like walking into a vortex that immediately sucks you into a different world at the moment that you walk through the entrance. You become mesmerized by this other world; getting lost in the drawings on the walls, walking pass white tree branches with imaginary creatures hanging from them, listening to the music. ...i wish i could have been there......

1 Comments:

Blogger brianlauradesign said...

This reminds me of something that you did on the blog before and that too was pretty interesting. I find that the characters are pretty original in form. I could see how pop art could influence this by their use of color. Lots of bright colors I find in this work, I could just imagine what this studio must feel like being inside of it. I would probably lose it if I was in their more than a hour. Its a trip to look at I think because of the regression that occures within the viewer.

12:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home