Monday, March 06, 2006

What do you think??

I have recently been looking through some illustration books and there are some things that I find beautiful and fascinating, but there are some other things that I do not quite understand. Im sure that you have seen the type of drawings that look like it took a few seconds to draw or they look like a child could have drawn it. They consist of simplistic lines and shapes, awkward and imperfect forms, and a quick doodling quality. I find some of these sort of drawings to be interesting, but there are some that are just beyond me. What makes these drawings so great?? Anyone could have drawn these.

I found these images in a book called Vitamin D: New Perspectives in Drawing, which is a well-respected art book, so I question why some artwork was important enough to be put into this book. These first set of drawings are done my Anne-Marie Schneider. I was attracted to some of her drawings, such as the top image (Untitled) because of its mysterious form and swashes of color, and the middle image entitled "Nos villes closes comme des oeufs (Our cities are as Closed as Eggs)" because of its simplistic way of making a statement. However, I am not too sure of the importance in the third and forth images. Where is the line drawn between "good" art and images that are just ridiculous? Anne-Marie Schneider says that drawing for her is like writing a journal entry everyday. She says, "It keeps me from writing only with words; these are daily images." But even with this said, I am still unsure as to the significance of the third and forth images.





The second set of images, which are also from the Vitamin D book, are done by David Shrigley. His artwork is described to have a "seemingly childlike, "artless" style. I was immediately attracted to some of his drawings such as the first and second images but Im not too sure why I find them interesting. Maybe because of his unusual human forms and imaginative quality. However, I question the significance of the third and forth images. Shrigley says, "I deliberately try to make my work as intuitive as possible, so in a sense it's about everything and nothing."

I think people may be attracted to this type of art because it is very imaginative. They are drawings that the artist first visualizes in their minds, then lets the image from their mind flow out of their hand through a pencil and on to paper. Thats why the images often seem distorted, bizarre, abstract, which makes them interesting. HOWEVER, Im still confused on some images like the ones i mentioned above. What do you think?

2 Comments:

Blogger Courtney said...

i'm not sure what the artists' motivations were in these drawings, but to me, it seems like there is no real purpose or insightful significance to them. just judging from the title of the book that these were found in, it seems that these are more just studies or ideas, not fully thought out and complete pieces themselves. as from the quote you pulled out from Anne-Marie Schneider, they are just journal entries that have taken a pictoral form rather than words. so these may not hold much meaning for us, but they evoke deeper more complex thoughts to the artist. however, i do that yes, just from the visual forms, some of these are interesting, in their very two-dimensional little worlds of strange and distorted figures.

8:57 PM  
Blogger brianlauradesign said...

I have allows been interested in illustration since I was little when I used to collect comic books and then try to copy the illustrations, because I really wanted to become a comic book artist. But maybe I still have a chance to do illustration in the field of graphic design, I am shure of it. Looking at this work I have found it to be very appealling from the perspective that I just mentioned(a strong urge to illustrate since the age of seven or six I used to draw Garfield and Warner Brothers, Marvel, Tales from the Crypt cartoons) I really like the intuitive nature of the drawings some of it is very close to blind contour drawing. I think what appeals for me is the human aspect to it which is the uneven line which isn't perfect "that's okay by me" because nothing ever is. The abstration is a part of the appeal for me it tends to develop in its form and facial gestures of the characters.

2:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home